Saturday, March 23, 2013


Coronary heart disease and Margarine intake


By on 10:36 AM

Having margarine in your dietary meals should not be a reason of Heart inflammations that lead to heart diseases especially coronary artery thrombosis, margarine dose not have any cholesterol content since it made fro vegetable Oils, and here why I said that.

Nutrition content of margarine: 
there are 75 calories in 1 tablespoon of Margarine.
Calorie breakdown: 100% fat, 0% CHO, 0% protein.
Nutrition facts of other types of Margarine:
Margarine (Regular, 80% Fat with Salt, Tub)
Margarine (Fat Free, Tub)
Margarine (Vegetable Oil, 20% Fat) 

Role of margarine intake on incidence rate of coronary heart disease:
An study calculated Coronary heart disease cumulative incidence rates by applying dietary margarine intake of age 45-64 years and free of Coronary heart disease, and found ratios over 21 years of follow-up. Mean energy intake was 2,619 kcal; mean margarine intake was 1.8 (range 0-12) tsp per day. There were 267 incident cases of CHD.

Nutrition facts about margarine Products:
  1. Margarine consists of hydrogenated vegetable fats with water (emulsion), sometimes contains skimmed milk and called oleomargarine 
  2. Traditional Margarine has a minimum fat content of 80%, 
  3. Margarine contains many saturated fats and oils where the Vegetable fats can contain between 7% and 86% saturated fatty acids. Liquid oils (canola oil, sunflower oil) tend to be on the low end, while tropical oils (coconut oil, palm kernel oil) and (hydrogenated) oils 
  4. Typical soft tub margarine contains 10% to 20% of saturated fat. Regular butterfat contains 52 to 65% saturated fats. 
  5. Sunflower, safflower, and olive oils contain high amounts of unsaturated fats. Solidification of margarine may requires addition of some saturated or trans-fats. 
  6. Several large studies have indicated a link between consumption of high amounts of Trans fat and coronary heart disease, and possibly some other diseases 
  7. Plant sterol esters or plant stanol esters have been added to some margarines and spreads because of their cholesterol lowering effect. Several studies have indicated that consumption of about 2 grams per day provides a reduction in LDL cholesterol of about 10%. 
Influence of different fatty acids in margarine and Cholesterol Proteins on Heart arteries

How margarine increase incidence rate of heart diseases and CHD?
1. Fatty acids increase the cholesterol level in the blood due to increasing of both LDL and cholesterol in the blood serum and thus great fortunes to cardiovascular diseases
2. Consumption of unsaturated fatty acids has been found to decrease LDL cholesterol levels and increase HDL cholesterol levels in the blood, thus reducing the risk of contracting cardiovascular diseases.
3. There is a positive linear trend between trans fatty acid intake and LDL cholesterol concentration, and therefore increased risk of coronary heart disease, by raising levels of LDL cholesterol and lowering levels of HDL cholesterol.
4. Fatty acids deposits gradually clog the arteries and causes thrombosis. Thus will lowering blood stream to brain and tissues. The human body producing about 1g of cholesterol each day or 80% of the needed total body cholesterol by Liver the remaining 20% comes from food intake.
5. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration states that healthy people should not consume more than 300 mg of cholesterol each day, so no need to more cholesterol in dietary meals, while most margarine contains no cholesterol since it vegetable-made. While 100 grams of butter contains 178 mg of cholesterol.

Johan Abraham
Title: Coronary heart disease and Margarine intake
Reviewer: Johan Abraham | Real cases explained
Update data: 10:36 AM | Rating: 4.5

Comment for "Coronary heart disease and Margarine intake"

0 comments

Post a Comment